pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

edge

Ding Dong, Your Opinion is Wrong

Yates Floyd, Editor

Antifa and the communist regime that attacks the rights and liberties of American citizens has made its way into Pleasant Grove High School. The news can show you the anti-free speech movement at places like the University of California Berkeley and the University of Florida.

Conservative speakers like Richard Spencer, Ben Sharpiro, Ann Coulter, Milo Yiannopoulos, and countless others are being denied their right to free speech by antifa. The denial of free speech to a few doesn’t really affect us in the grand scheme of things, but it’s different when it’s in your own backyard.

Antifa is here right now in the high school. Our peers are being silenced. Not just silenced, but being forced to blindly and doubtlessly follow direction without question.

It all started when one kid decided to post an unpopular opinion of the band students. The reaction was amazing. It was like mixing fire and gasoline to make an explosion the size of Hiroshima. The snapchat was met with a hateful backlash from band members who think the music program is underappreciated and deserve more recognition.

This one Snapchat divided the student body into polar opposites. Die-hard band supporters armed with the I-stand-with-band hashtags and the opposition was full of band haters who believed they had no place at school. There was no in between.

At least until the next day. In all four of my classes, students were having discussions and were presenting legitimate arguments that led to some middle-of-the-road conclusions. It’s amazing how people come together after a fight and that is exactly what happened.

There were a lot of debate skills and thoughtful conclusions that were being developed by the student body this day. Just when the problem seemed to have settled itself and everyone had gained something from this debate, administration stepped in and ruined the process.

They not only silenced the people with the unpopular opinion, but they also tried to force their “correct” ideology on them. Imagine coming home to tell your parents you were put in ISS for having an opposing viewpoint. I’m not saying either side is right, but I do know that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I think there is a reason the First Amendment came first. Not only does it protect the basic liberties of citizens, but it allows ideas to flourish. It’s far greater to see through the eyes of another than it is to close yours forever.

I don’t know if this is a safe-space agenda or a communist regime, but it needs to end. Last time I checked Pleasant Playland was down the road, North Korea was across the ocean, and the United States was the land of the free.