Cross Country Dominates at Atlanta Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country Dominates at Atlanta Meet

Carson Sanders, Reporter

The cross country team finished first and second at the Atlanta XC Invitational last Saturday. Both the varsity and junior varsity boys won their races, and the varsity girls team was runner-up. 

The varsity boys had four runners place in the top ten, all running under a 20 minute 5k. Sophomore Elmo Mejia finished third with a 19:03. Following him was junior Lucas Edwards in fourth, sophomore Brooks Beck in sixth and sophomore Dai’mond Harvey in tenth. Freshmen Cieran Power led the team in the JV race. Behind him were four more runners dominating the top ten. Danny Santiago, Peyton Legrand, Chance Tutolo, and Lincoln Jackson, all freshmen, finished third, fourth, fifth, and seventh. 

Sophomore Lydia Colvin led the girls’ team with a 14:09 two mile, finishing in second place. Sophomore Jazmin Hever and freshmen Emma Henard finished in fifth and eighth place. 

Coach Gina Clark said that the teams’ early success is a sign of a promising future.

“I am very excited about the future and I have no doubt that the team will do well in district and regionals and possibly state,” she said.

The teams’ next meet is Sept. 7 at Trinity Christian School. [Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”12″ gal_title=”Cross Country Atlanta Meet”]