edge

Hawk Hype

Rivalry games get intense

Kaylee Kelley sets the ball for Katie Ferguson during the LE game. The Lady Hawks won in four sets. Photo: HKnight

Savannah Hoehn, Reporter

Cheering, food and bright lights. All the players can think about is making it to the end zone. Rivalry games are some of the most intense games of the year.

“North Lamar is our biggest rival because they’re the biggest competition in our district.” senior Grace Pickelman said.

Volleyball recently played North Lamar, winning three out of four sets, but it wasn’t that easy. The crowd encourages them, but they have to make sure they stay on top.

“It’s hard staying energized and excited when the game is so close, and you can’t take many breaks,” senior Macy Adams said.

One of the biggest games of the year for football will be held on senior night for this season. When we play Liberty Eylau, our cross-town rivals, everyone comes and shouts the whole time.

“There’s always a lot of trash talking, and it’s always a good game,” sophomore Landon Jackson said.

While the players are making sure they run the right plays, the fans are on the edge of their seats cheering the players on. Even though they’re not on the field, they often feel like it.

“It’s so intense when we play them, and everyone feels like they’re a part of the team,” junior Georgia Cobb said.

The student section is often the most hyped up crowd at the game. They are on their feet cheering the players on the whole game.

“Everyone gets involved and becomes a family,” sophomore Francy Martin said. “The competition always makes everyone even louder, and we try our best to encourage the team.”