Band Advances to Area

Alex Norton, Reporter

The band competed in the UIL Marching Contest earlier today and got 1s all the way across the board, the best score possible. They have advanced to Area on Oct. 27. Now, they have to prepare for Area in hopes that they can advance to State.

“I think the next step for us is really buckling down and focusing so we can do good in Area and make it to State,” senior Noni Hilley said.

This contest proved as an obstacle because of the weather. It was cold, wet, and rainy, but the band pushed through and performed the best they could.

“It was very hectic and different than usual because of the rain, but we did our best and came out with all 1s,” sophomore Savannah Hoehn said.

The band spent hours perfecting their performance, even practicing in the indoor facility when it rained, and that practice really paid off when the district contest had to be held inside because of the weather. 

“I think what helped us the most in the end was being able to practice inside the indoor facility. Today we ended up having to perform in an indoor facility, so I think that we were really prepared on knowing how to adjust accordingly,” Noni said. “There are no sidelines on the inside so we had to work together with the pit on that.”

Now that the band has made it to Area, None said they are going to focus on the small parts of their performance. That way, they are completely prepared for the next competition.

“I think that practices are going to be a lot more specific,” Noni said. “Instead of us just doing general run throughs, I think we’re gonna work on fundamentals, specifically our shoulders and our feet, and then we might work on certain parts of the show or music that the judges commented on. I think we might have to work on music specifically as well.”

With goal no. 1 checked, band members are looking to the next competition, and hopefully beyond.

“Obviously the overall goal is to go to State,” Noni said, “but even if we don’t go to State or win State, the biggest goal is for us to do our best.”