pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

edge

Avery Jensen

Jill Bultemeier, Reporter

She doesn’t have to be there to see the giant trademark castle, enjoy her favorite ride, or feel the “magic come to life.”  Sophomore Avery Jensen has been to Disney parks so many times, she could be counted as a princess in her own right.

“When I was younger we would go [to Disney] all the time, and my sister would have dance competitions,” Avery said, “I really got to see the backstage kind of portion of Disney, and I’ve always just liked how they work.”

Though Avery appreciates the history behind Disneyland, her favorite place by far is Disney World.

“Disney World literally has Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood studios, and then you have the two waterparks and downtown Disney, so you literally have six parks in one,” Avery said.

Her favorites are Hollywood studios (for the big rides) and Animal Kingdom (for the safari ride and pretty animals).

Most would agree that any girl with a real childhood has a favorite Disney princess, and Avery is no exception.

“Mulan is my favorite because she’s different from all the other princesses,” Avery said. “She just goes against the ‘I’m here for the man’ mentality.”

Perhaps it’s this mentality that has inspired Avery to become a leader, both in band and on the soccer field, and to work for what she wants.

However, Avery didn’t always want to be in band.

“My sister, Tia, played the clarinet in high school and middle school and she really liked it, and what’s funny is that I used to make fun of her for it,” Avery said. “I was like ‘Ooh,  you’re a band nerd’ and all of this, and then when we had the choice to play, I was like ‘you know what, I’m just going to try it.’”

Little did she know she was going to end up committed to an instrument that she’s played for almost five years now.

“I remember I went up there and I was like,  ‘you know what, I’ll try the saxophone, the clarinet, and the flute,’ and Mrs. Sandage told me I was really good at all three, like getting the sound out, and I could get both octaves out on the flute, so I was like, ‘you know what I’m a beast at this, so I’m going to play the flute,’ and so I chose the flute, and I really liked it, so I stayed and came this far with it.”

Avery may stick with her flute section in band, but in soccer, she’s all over the place.

“Last year I played literally every position and I never started in the same position twice, so that was interesting last year,” Avery said, “And then this year I’ve played forward, I’ve played wing, I’ve played goalie, I’ve played defense, I’ve played midfield, defensive and offensive, so I’ve literally played everywhere, again.”

Though goalie may not be her favorite position, she has stepped up to take on her role as leader, the way she plans to do in band as well.

“As a goalie, you have to communicate a lot and you have to just step up as a leader and help the team a lot, and so like in everything I do I feel like it would really help, and that’s just another step.”

By helping her team and her band, Aery hopes to prepare herself for her future.

“I am actually going to try out for section leader soon. They just kind of help everyone learn marching fundamentals and help them out, and our section leader right now, she’s super nice and so cool, and I just really look up to her,” Avery said, “And I feel like it would be fun, because I like having that leadership position and helping other people, like I want to be a teacher when I’m older, and so I feel like it’s great practice.”