pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

Annual ‘Follies’ Come to PG

January 28, 2020

Back to Article
Back to Article

Annual ‘Follies’ Come to PG

The Follies takes place every year at PG in January. Students have the opportunity to showcase their talents for their peers and experience live performance.

Debby Sutton

Debby Sutton

Debby Sutton

The annual Follies will be held on Feb. 1 at the PAC. The show presents the district’s students’ talents from singing, dancing, acting to playing an instrument.

Auditions were held on Jan. 15 and Jan. 16 and had to be under two minutes in performance time. Students paid a $10 fee to audition and tickets are $5 each, which will go directly to the theatre department. The show is not only a fundraising tool but also allows students to express themselves.

“I think [Follies] is so important, because it gives students a place to perform,” Follies coordinator Tiffany Beck said. “There a lot of students that are outside of theater and may not always have the opportunity to perform. And it gives older students an opportunity to do something different than what they do in theater usually.” 

Freshman Savannah Munkel is one of the students who auditioned for Follies. She will sing “Count on Me” by Bruno Mars with one of her friends and this is her first time performing in the annual talent show. 

“I’m a little nervous,” she said. “But I think it’s gonna be good. I like being able to share [my talent] with others.”

Other students, such as junior Lauren Stinard, have performed in Follies for many years. Lauren has been in the Follies since fifth grade. This year, she is doing four acts, including singing her own written songs and playing her ukulele alongside junior Emily Mowery and senior Tommy Tye. Lauren has always had a love for expressing her talents and hopes to continue performing. 

“I like getting to share my talents with other people,” Lauren said. “I put a lot of practice, time, and preparation to what I do. To get to show others what I can do makes me feel connected to them.”

Since students from grades K-12 can perform, young kids could have an opportunity to do what they love most.

“I look forward to the little ones performing at Follies the most,” Follies coordinator Debby Sutton said. “They’re so cute and so precious to watch. [Follies] is a great way for kids to try their performance art in a safe place.”