pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

edge

Back to school

Former students return to the classroom

Katie Hutchison, Reporter

They’ve been students. They’ve walked these halls, sat in these desks, even had some of the same teachers, but this time it’s a whole new world for them. They are now the ones up at the front teaching.

“It’s very different especially to be on the other side of things, to be a teacher and not a kid anymore,” Anatomy teacher Sara Martindale said. “It’s really cool, and I get to see a lot of my teachers as my equals instead of above me so that’s really interesting.”

Anatomy teacher Sara Martindale, assistant soccer and volleyball coach Abby Pickett, and biology teacher Christian Mitchell are the newest members of the alumni staff, and being back is completely different for them.

“First off it’s really, really cool to be back, and it’s very sentimental every time I walk through the hall.” Coach Pickett said. “I always think of the times that I was a student and it’s just neat to see how things have grown in such a positive way. It’s exciting to get to be a part of that on the other side of things.”

Coming back four and five years later comes with a few changes in the atmosphere.

“Not many physical changes have occurred but I think the hawk spirit is more alive now than it was whenever I was a student,” coach Pickett said. “People are all about being at Pleasant Grove and they are excited to be here and that’s definitely grown since I have been here.”

After graduating in 2012 and 2013, these teachers all went their separate ways, with their own plans, but eventually ended up right where they began, but this time at the front of the classroom.

“I started off wanting to go to medical school, and I got to my senior year of college and then my plans changed, life just changes sometimes, so my plans completely changed and so now my end goal is to teach college, and I feel like teaching high school is definitely a really good step on that path,” Ms. Mitchell said.

One thing is for sure, this school has something going for it if graduates are willing to come back when the school is in need of teachers.

“I did not plan on teaching, especially after seeing my mom, and seeing how it is to be a teacher. I have been coming up to the high school since like the fourth grade. I would ride the bus and hang out here till about six or seven at night while she graded papers and make copies.” Ms. Martindale said. “I know the back part of teaching and I didn’t think I would ever want to do it, but I was given this opportunity and I just had to take it because I do love PG and anyway I can help PG out like I’m down for it.”