edge

A Part of History

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Part of History

Madeline Haak

In Mr. Baldwin’s fourth period AP United States History class on Friday, January 20, students watched a live broadcast of the presidential inauguration. However, some of their classmates watched it in real life in Washington, D.C.

Sophomore Alana Avard was one of these students. And though she stood pretty far back on 12th Street, jumbotrons let her watch a livestream of President Donald Trump giving his inaugural speech.

“Before he was even elected, my mom said that we would go to the inauguration if he was elected,” Alana said.“Me, my mom, my dad, my sister, and my cousin went. We were far back from President Trump while he gave his speech because we didn’t have tickets, but they had jumbotrons so you could see him.”

But Alana wasn’t the only student who attended the inauguration. Freshman Jordan Poe also went, also. Her family’s name was drawn out of countless others, and they received four tickets to see President Trump inaugurated.

“It was a really amazing experience attending the inauguration. I really liked seeing history being made right in front of me,” she said.

Jordan sat close. So close that she was right behind the seated section for all the representatives and their families and people who donated a ton of money to Trump’s campaign.

But how close she sat to the 45th President of the United States wasn’t what impacted Jordan most. It was what he had to say.

“I really liked when Trump gave his speech and was telling us that he was going to give the power back to the people,” she said. “That really got me.”

And the rain in Washington, D.C. didn’t affect Jordan’s optimism for the four years ahead.

“As soon as Donald Trump stepped up to give his speech is started raining, and a rainbow appeared. I thought it must be a sign.”