edge

Cricket Craze

No student should have to be scared to go to school for any reason. No one should ever be scared of walking through the hallways worried with every step you take worrying about an attack at any moment. You all know what I’m talking about: crickets.

Yep, those black beady crickets that haunt our hallways and jump on people and their  backpacks. There are so many in the cafeteria that sometimes I forget what the actual color of the cafeteria floor is (but I’m not sure if that’s actually related to the crickets or my bad memory).

At the beginning of the year in biology, I thought that Mrs. Strawn enjoyed playing jungle/nature sounds in class, but a few days later, I figured out that it was just the crickets in the wall behind her classroom. It was quite ridiculous.

However, the most horrifying experience I had with the notorious Pleasant Grove crickets was the night of homecoming. It was around 10 o’clock at night and I was going to drop off some friends back at their cars from a quick Walmart run, and the parking lot at PG looked as if it was straight out of a horror movie.

There were crickets everywhere, and I wish I could say that I was joking. You would not have been able to take a step without crushing at least 5. The parking lot looking like a black, moving mass. I was so terrified that once they opened the door, they would just flood into the car, and eat me or something. It was definitely stressful.

Now, I haven’t seen as many crickets since that traumatizing night, but are we sure they are really gone? Maybe they have just gotten better at hiding, lurking in the walls, planning to strike. We’ll never know, but what I do know is that they’ll strike when we least expect it, so we need to always be on edge.