pleasant grove high school newspaper, texarkana, tx

edge

The Great Pizza Review

The Big Cheese

Big Cheese is located in Wake Village on W 7th Street just down from chicken express. When we first walked in the Andy Griffith show was playing, which was definitely a plus. We walked up to the counter and ordered our pizza which was at our table within five minutes. Lucas, Matthew, and Zach all rated the pizza very highly.

“They had some of the best cheese I have ever had on a pizza,” said Zach, “It really lived up to its name.”

However, Allen, didn’t rate the pizza as highly.

“The pizza wasn’t awful,” said Allen, “but it was a little too greasy for me.”

Over all The Big Cheese was a success with a star rating of 4.1. It may be a little out of the way, and there was only parchment paper for plates, but the pizza is worth it.

Ironwood

Ironwood is located just down the road from Pleasant Grove High school, barely two minutes away. Most everyone in Texarkana has been to Ironwood before, so we all know that the atmosphere is a welcoming, clean place. Normally, the service is excellent, but for our review board the service was actually the second worst on our review. We had issues with our drink orders, our meal coming out in a timely manner, and actually getting the wrong pizza once.

“The pizza was really good, with a crispy crust, gooey cheese, and a tasty sauce,” said Matthew.

However for Lucas, he believed that Ironwood should stick to other things.

“The pizza wasn’t actually that bad, but I just feel as though there are better things to order at Ironwood than pizza.

Overall, with Ironwood earning a rating of 3.7, we believe that Ironwood is a good option, but there are better places to eat pizza in town.

Hopkin’s Bar and Grill

What can we say about this place other than it’s a bar and grill? We felt as a board that the food here was pretty much exactly what you’d expect from a bar and grill. The atmosphere was nice, and clean, and the food was above average.

The thing that hurt Hopkin’s the most was the timeliness. All together, this was the second slowest restaurant to bring us our food.

“The waitress was nice, and we had a lot of drink refills, but the food prep took a while,” said Zach.

The pizza was kind of mediocre, to us, and scored pretty low among everyone. But if you really like generic pizza, this is your place.

Pizza Hut

We originally were planning on rating the restaurants on a scale of 1-5, but Pizza Hut convinced us no matter how bad you think it is, it can get worse. While the pizza looked and tasted great,  we could not get over the horrible atmosphere and service. This is the only restaurant we went to that earned a zero for its atmosphere, and the overall score of the review dropped tremendously for it. 

“We were not offered fountain drinks, instead we were offered either a bottle or a two liter. This was really inconvenient for us because it cost a lot more money to do this,” said Matthew.

For Lucas, this experience was even worse.

“First of all, let’s start out by saying that the workers were not wearing hairnets. This to me made me feel uncomfortable eating the pizza. Second, when I ordered my water, I swear there was a brownish tint and I could see things floating around in my water. I had to order a bottled drink because I felt that I was going to be sick if I drank it,” said Lucas.

Zach echoed similar sentiments by saying, “Being inside PIzza Hut makes me not want it in the future whether it’s dine-in or takeout.”

As a review board, we determined that this place is not recommended to order pizza from. Even though the pizza was good, the nasty atmosphere was enough to keep us all away from it for a long time.

Joe’s Pizza and Pasta

Joe’s Pizza and Pasta is a local Italian restaurant located downtown right next to the post office. If you’re looking for good Italian food this is the place to go, but we were just there for the pizza. The service was pretty good, always keeping our drinks refilled, and the pizza was out in a timely fashion. The atmosphere was great, and if I didn’t know any better I would have thought I was in Italy. Now for the Pizza, it was the third best pizza on our review tour with delicious thin crust and plenty of meat to keep us full. The pizza wasn’t greasy, it was the least greasy of any pizza we tried and the cheese was still great.

Overall Joe’s scored pretty high with 3.5 stars, and if you want some pizza and pasta, Joe’s is definitely the place to go.